Sunday 11 January 2009

If-clauses (Love vs Hate song)

To introduce the sturcture of the if-clauses I've used a song from katie Melua called "If I were a sailboat", which can be seen on the YouTube video posted here. Love songs are very frequent and in order to appeal to my students creativity, I asked them to transform the second part of the if-clause in a song of hatred. Some did it in the lessons but others sent me the written lyrics, non-advisable to over-sensitive people. Listen to the original song and then go through the lyrics which is a sum up of what some students from the 10ºJ made: João Simplício, Carolina Machado, Catarina Fagulha, David Marques and Afonso Silva.



If you were a cowboy I would steal your horse

If you were a piece of wood, I'd use an axe to turn you into a toothpick

If you were a sailboat I would tear your sails

If you were a river I would dump chemical waste in it

If you were a house, I would burn you to the ground

If you were a preacher, I would scream Satan in front of your church all day long

If I was in jail, you'd be my prison guard

If was a telephone, you'd put me in silent mode

If I was in pain, you'd feel happier than ever

If I was hungry, you'd let me starve to death

If I was in darkness, you woudn't pay the electricity bill

If I was a book, you'd tear all my pages

No comments: